Tuesday 4 October 2011

Rowing the Brisbane River

A few weeks ago we were afforded a window of opportunity to go up to Brisbane to visit Rob. The window involved leaving after Dan & I finished work, (about 8am Saturday morning) and getting back Sunday evening for work/school Monday. So that's what we did!

                                                                                       Beautiful day by the Brisbane river.
Dan shottied the drivers seat, (still working towards the 120 hours he needs to go for his licence), Andy the navigator's, which left Jimmi and I to the back for a sleep. All went well until our lunch stop in Ballina. I bought some drinks then dropped them all over the shopping centre floor! Yes, they were in glass bottles. Yes, they smashed everywhere. I guess the lesson here is don't carry glass around busy shopping centres when you haven't slept for 24 hours! I left the boys to supervise the cleanup while I went back to the car to put the other stuff I'd bought away and on opening the boot realized my bag, that I had packed for the weekend, was not there! Nope. It was still in my bedroom, all packed ready to go but it didn't make it to the car!  So, a quick trip back to the shop for knickers and toothbrush. As we were staying with Judi, I figured she'd take care of anything else I needed!

Mid afternoon arrived at Judi's where we met up with Rob and various other family members for a barbeque - including Seamus who had just returned from an 18 month stint in Ireland. Great to catch up with everyone. Dan opted to stay at college with Robert that night - thought he'd suss out the scene!

                                              Disembarking at the end of the race.

Sunday we went to watch Rob in a rowing competition. That was the real reason we went up. He has joined a rowing team from his college and the inter college races were on. It was a beautiful day and we had a very relaxing time watching the rowing and the antics of the Uni students! Not a lot has changed over the years!

Followed this with a quick trip into the city to get Jimmi a saxophone and then the drive home. Dan got some more driving hours, and Andy a speeding fine! Very nice weekend,-  a bit rushed, but good to know it is doable.

                                                           Jimmi & his Sax

No comments:

Post a Comment