Friday 2 September 2011

Boxes, Books, Moving & Chemo...

It seems there isn't enough stress in my life so, I know, let's move house. Wait! Let's get evicted from our rental so we have a tight time frame within which to find a house and move into it! We can do this!

So begins the packing. I'll start with the easy stuff and get the books packed. Three weeks later, with moving date fast approaching, we are still packing books and we've run out of boxes! "We don't need these Dr Zeus books any more do we guys? We could give them to Sienna or Isabelle." (nieces). "Are you kidding?" says Rob (18yr old uni student) "I just read that one last week! We can't get rid of them. And we have to keep that picture book". "And those ones too" chime in brothers. At this stage I am wondering why I ever encouraged my children to read! I encouraged them to cook too, but there aren't many pots and pans to pack! So, We continue finding more boxes to pack more books that we can't live without.

Remember that while we are looking, negotiating (don't you love banks? And real estate agents?), packing and moving, I am still having my weekly sessions of chemotherapy. I had been warned the effects were cumulative, and let me tell you they were cumulating! The worst of course were the tiredness and the fuzzy brain! I could not remember what had been organized or packed or where. And regular naps were necessary or I just fell down (or at least felt I would). Thank goodness Andy organized removalists and co-ordinated times etc. I just needed regular reminders of what I was doing and when!

The Moving day arrived, and once again I am forever grateful to family members, as Andy could not get the day off. Not only did Dan have the day off school, but also Chris (my brother) and Brad (my nephew) arrived to help sort me out - complete with extra packing boxes! (Yes! You will get them back Chris, as soon as I unpack them!). Everything went relatively smoothly.

Dan had the day off school because he had not even started packing up his room! I'm not sure if he was in denial about the move (he did like being able to walk to the beach) or if his social calendar had just been too full to factor in packing! However, he was a great help (once he packed up his room) with packing up the rest of the downstairs area. Ably supervised by Chris. By lunch time he was rather regretting not going to school! I think Jimmi was the smart one for taking the "I Have to go to school. Something is due and I have to hand it in" option. Having never insisted on going to school to hand something in before, I didn't like to discourage him! 

Chris & Brad arrived at the same time as the removalists - complete with a cup of coffee for me and some direction! From there we were on a roll - at least they were, I was just confused by it all. However, it all came together. We had fish & chips for lunch (between loads) and had finished with the removalists by mid afternoon. Chris & Brad put together the beds for us but unfortunately in the move we lost a couple of support legs for the main bed! Andy & I spent the first night sleeping on the floor! It had been a while since that last happened.

Next day Chris returned, this time with Elizabeth, and we unpacked and organised some stuff. I think he wanted his boxes back, but he is still waiting. Andy had the day off work so went to the other house to finish sorting and to bring back the "little stuff" the removalists didn't bring. It took quite a few loads to bring the "Little Stuff"!

So, we have moved. We are still surrounded by boxes as we work out what should go where, but we are in - and off the floor. Next time (God forbid there ever be a next time) we will have more boxes, less books and no chemotherapy! The combination just doesn't work - unless, of course you have the assistance of all those nearest and dearest!
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ronnie
    Well done - you make it sound like military precision. You are such a great organiser - after 20 years of looking after boys you have more than mastered it.

    ReplyDelete