Friday 29 July 2011

An Ode to Support


A couple of weeks ago it seems all the planets and stars aligned with the result being my support team were out en masse! Yes, Judi came down from Brisbane, Annemaree & Andrew had the day off, so decided to come along  and of course Elizabeth never misses a session ( except when it floods), and neither does Chris, who brings her down each week. However he did decide to bow out of this one to let the others have a turn!  In the meantime, my boys were at home (on holidays)  and had offered to come along. I assured them I would be ok but they could meet us for lunch. 


First thing I noticed when my siblings arrived was how much the younger ones aspire to look like me! Yes! Judi arrived with cropped, spikey burgundy hairstyle and Andrew had a recently shaved, but growing back "pepper-and-salt" style! Although mine is more "salt-and-pepper", I was still, indeed, flattered! What a role model am I!!

As I knew all these people were coming, I commandeered Elizabeth to be on morning tea duty. Not just for us, but for the staff at the clinic, who I thought might pass out when they saw us all filing through the doors! However, they were very tolerant (especially when they got a yummy morning tea) and patient with us throughout the treatment. One of them was convinced Judi & I were twins - nice for me, not so for Judi!


It was also on this day that I had 2 appointments with doctors - the medical oncologist and the radiologist. The support team drew straws to accompany me to these (Andrew willingly stepped down on both occasions!) which was good as I needed someone  to remember what was said to me! After appointments, treatments and a good few laughs we went out to lunch,where, of course, we were
joined by my three sons.


Of course it is not just this day that support is out in force, it is ongoing. Not only from family, but also friends near and far. It amazes me how people seem to know when I need a lift. On a down day, I answer a knock at the door to find a bunch of flowers has been delivered. Or a telephone call to go out for coffee. Or I go to the mailbox and find  friends have sent a voucher for a local day spa, or pizza money. One group of friends has sent me a voucher for an adventure weekend. That will be used in October when all the treatment is over and it's my birthday. I have been looking forward to that for months! Another friend drops something in the mail for me every couple of weeks - a book, a scarf, a game etc. I don't know how she does it, but it always seems to arrive when I need a lift! Cards arrive from not only my friends, but friends of my siblings as well. There are some great people in the world. Thank you to one and all. It really is appreciated.


1 comment: