Wednesday 1 June 2011

New treatment

So, Back from NZ, back to work and ready to start the next 12 weeks of treatment! Amazing how quickly holidays are forgotten!

A week after getting back I started on the next regime which is only one drug, but I am to have it weekly for 12weeks - and then I will reward myself with another little treat! So far the sessions have been fine. In fact, after the first lot I couldn't believe how well I felt. I actually had some energy for the first time in months. In fact, I had so much energy I mopped the kitchen floor! Now that I've written that I realise how sad it really is! Especially as I was so thrilled, at the time, to have identified the need AND had the energy to act on it! You'd think I could have found something a bit more exciting to have done with this new-found energy.

Downside of this treatment is that it, apparently, has a cumulative effect. I guess that means that in 9-10 weeks time I might not feel so well (and the kitchen floor might not be so clean). However, I'll just take each day as it comes. The other downside is that I have to have bloods and IV line weekly, and my veins aren't what they used to be. The last couple of weeks they have needed multiple attempts to find a reasonable vein, and as I can only use one arm, I'm not holding a lot of hope that it will last. However, as I have said before, "I'll just take each day as it comes". Really not much else I can do. Worst case scenario is that I will need a PICC line (Google it), which is much better than a Porta Cath (Google it), I think.

Last week Katrina, a friend from Perth, came over for a visit. It was great to have her here. She came to the treatment session with me, met my Dr and offered all kinds of support and humour as they had multiple attempts at finding a vein and then dripping the stuff into it. We then went out to a well deserved lunch. Actually, we had a number of well deserved lunches... and breakfasts... and wine too now I come to think of it! Particularly enjoyed the wine as I haven't been enjoying it over the past months. See, I told you this new drug is much better!

As well as eating amd drinking, we also had a couple of tourist ventures. We really lucked in with the weather and had a day going to Bellingen and Dorrigo - up in the hills. We had lots of exercise walking native tracks through rainforest, saw some great waterfalls and had a good nosy around the quaint shops. Great day. Great company. Katrina was particularly impressed when we went to the Yacht club for lunch as she had to become a temporary member! Quite delighted at being a member of a yacht club, if only for 2 hours! These city people are so easy to impress!

Wednesday now (Happy Winter) and things are going well after my 4th lot of this regime. 1/3 of the way through already - it certainly makes things go fast this weekly business! This week they got the IV line in 1st go and it stayed good for the duration! We decided to try without the anti emetic, Kytril, which has side effects of its own (namely diarrhoea - too much information?) and a reduced dose of the dexamethasone which causes insomnia and floor mopping. So far it's been good. A little bit of nausea 1st night (but nothing a stemitil didn't fix), and a late night (as I was up chatting to Bridie, my neice) so I slept when I went to bed. All is good.

No photos this post as Katrina has lost her camera card! Do you believe it?? When she finds it and sends me the copies I will do my bit! Great being able to blame someone else for stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment