Monday 13 June 2011

Going it alone

Well this week I had to go to chemotherapy all by myself! Yes, my trusty companions (sisters & brothers) were stranded in Grafton unable to get to me because of the water on the roads due to the continuous rain we have had over the long weekend! So, not only do I have to go it alone at chemo, but I also have to cook dinner tonight! Elizabeth always brings a meal with her on chemo day so I don't have to think about dinner. Tonight I have to not only think, but also prepare! It's all too much! But soldier on I shall!!

Now that I have the sympathy of all I'll tell you the good stuff. They found a functioning vein 1st go and blood results were good. So it was all on for the chemo. Had my Sudoku puzzles from the weekend papers, a crappy magazine I picked up in the waiting room and my phone. Have been playing "Words with Friends" (a kind of scrabble) which Bridie(my neice) put me on to. It is great! Love Scrabble! So I sent a text to Bridie to keep me occupied while I had chemo. She very kindly obliged (I whopped her) even though she was supposed to be at work. So,between Sudoku and Scrabble the time went quite quickly (The magazine was just too crappy!). However, it is much more fun having my sisters there for a chat and a laugh. So the roads had better clear before next Tuesday!

Also, there were no volunteers this week! They must have been flooded out too. Usually there is a volunteer person who gets us drinks (water, tea,coffee) and biscuits (hospital issue, low sugar ones - good for diabetics) with monotonous regularity. However, this week they were absent, and there was noone I could send out to the coffee shop! Made myself a cuppa on the way back from the toilet, but it just wasn't the same! Had a biscuit too, but there just wasn't enough sugar in it!

After chemo we (ie. siblings & I) usually go out to lunch. That's 2 meals I don't have to worry about on chemo day. Today I just came home and found something in the fridge to have for lunch all by myself.

Nope! Just not the same going it alone. But good to know I can do it if I must!

No comments:

Post a Comment